Wednesday, November 25, 2009

11/25/09

Day 1

Conditions: Michigan conditions: man-made and icy
Location: Keystone, CO

Day one started off rough. We arrived so late the night before that we took our time getting to Keystone. By the time we drove to the mountain and put on all our gear, it was already 10:30. To make matters worse it was a busy day on the hill, and the first day out for many people.

Even though we paid for our tickets online, we had to wait in a horrendous season ticket line to get our new Peaks Passes (which serve no purpose other than to let the resort track a person’s every move). By the time we got our passes and boarded the gondola to the top, it was passed noon.


The season pass line.

For the past few months, we have seen a trainer to get our bodies ready for the season. When I stepped off that gondola, I was feeling good. I mean, I was ready to lay down some deep carves with my new core muscles and freshly tuned board. We headed over to School Marm (one of the easiest hills in all of Keystone, and the Slow-Skiing-Trail-of-the-Day). I strapped on my board, did a few hops and was off. I started with a wide heelside turn. Man, was I feeling good. Then I transitioned to my toe side…when I caught an edge and fell really hard right there on the beginner hill. I was a deep, dark moment of clarity as I lay there feeling like an ass. As a bonus, I reinjured my shoulder that never fully healed from last year (see day 34). So much for being ready to rock.


Day 1

The rest of the day was crowded and icy, but it still felt good to make turns and get some confidence back on our boards. Keystone had several long hills open, and we had a pretty good time. We rode until the crowds drove us out around 3:30.

Highlight:

- Snow!

Lowlight:

- Conditions were just like Boyne Mountain, but with longer runs.

Après Ski:

We hit Pazzo’s in Avon for pizza and started watching Idiocracy. But, we were so tired that we both just ended up falling asleep.

Days to go: 49

No comments:

Post a Comment