Saturday, March 7, 2009

3/7/09

Day 35

Conditions: Slush on ice.
Location: Boyne Mountain, MI

If our last day at Boyne was a 1/10, then today was a 2/10. It’s hard to believe just two weeks ago we were floating through knee-deep Sierra powder under a blue, California sky.

When Dirk woke me up this morning, I thought it was a school day. When I remembered we were driving up to Boyne, I thought one thing: we should just skip it. I lay in bed thinking of all the sleep I was giving up, and wondering why we do this to ourselves every weekend. For some reason, I dragged myself out of bed and got ready. “It will be better than you think,” I told myself, “just get up and get there.”

We expected spring conditions today, with maybe a little rain. Spring conditions can be fun. Unfortunately, it didn’t warm up enough to turn the icy base into slush. The conditions were awful, and dangerous.

We rode for two hours; that was all we could take.

Highlights:

- We logged a day, and then it ended.

Lowlights:

- Well, you know.

Après Ski: We were done by noon, so we hung out at the condo and watched a horror movie marathon on the SciFi channel. Then, we went to the good old Red Mesa for dinner.

Days to go: 15

No comments:

Post a Comment